A Commonwealth Games official from Mauritius who has been charged with assaulting a female athlete has left Australia, Queensland police have confirmed.
The 52-year-old who allegedly touched a 26-year-old Mauritian athlete inappropriately during a photo shoot at Southport on March 29 flew out of Australia last night.
The man was arrested in the Games athletes’ village, taken to the Southport watch house and then granted bail yesterday.
The man is due to face Southport Magistrates Court on April 17.
Police said they were unlikely to seek extradition if the Games official failed to return to Australia.
Deputy Commissioner Steve Gollschewski said the man “had made an undertaking to appear in court on April 17”.
Deputy Commissioner Gollschewski said there were “normal bail restrictions put on that in terms of contact with people involved in the investigation and where he can go”.
“It’s not the type of offence that we would prevent people travelling on or take any measure to do that,” he said.
“He’s made an undertaking to appear on the 17 — that’ll be the next step that we’ll consider in the process.”
Earlier this week when assault allegations first surfaced, the delegate stepped down from his position with the Mauritian team.
He strongly denied the allegations at that time, saying they were “unfounded, unwarranted, false and malicious”.